Monday, May 18, 2009

To a Country

Dear Egypt,

I came back to you, to find you dying a little bit more than when I left you...

My beloved Egypt seems to be hanging herself.
But you're not just tying the rope around your neck and hopping off the chair,

(that wouldn't be appropriate for your old age, would it?)

Rather you are doing it excruciatingly slowly.
Yet surely, deliberately and unmistakebly, you are killing yourself.

Like a nightmare of a death-row prisoner, seeing himself walking his last mile, while it stretches on endlessly, neither giving him freedom nor death, neither rest nor salvation...

and to be honest with you, we are all very tired just watching your nightmare passing by!

And I beseech you:

Can't you make up your mind? Will you not choose life, or even death?!

And if you're too devided to choose, won't you at least do us the kindness of running out of wealth, so your children -your impoverished princes of thieves- would fly off to another field to lay to waste?!

Or won't you run out of fictitious enemies, so your old crones -your tormented sheikhs of hell- would devour each other instead?!

Can't you either have faith and live, or curse your gods and die?!


2 comments:

  1. First, I thought you would never write again, 3o2bal Flickr!

    Second, as irrelevant as it seems, edkhol film 3omar w salma 2 (w edkhol film 'gomhoor 3omar w salma 2 wa rodood fe3loh'), hate3raf eno khalas, Egypt has almost made its mind! And my exaggeration with this is minor, almost negligible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thanks :)

    Second, I understand why you want me to see that movie, but I doubt I can bring myself to see that film in the cinema... & although I wish you're exaggerating, I know you're not really.

    ReplyDelete