Wednesday, May 28, 2008

On Relativism: 2- Isolation


"The modern habit of saying"This is my opinion, but I may be wrong" is entirely irrational. If I say that it may be wrong, I say that is not my opinion. The modern habit of saying "Every man has a different philosophy; this is my philosophy and it suits me" - the habit of saying this is mere weak-mindedness. A cosmic philosophy is not constructed to fit a man; a cosmic philosophy is constructed to fit a cosmos. A man can no more possess a private religion than he can possess a private sun and moon."

Introduction to the Book of Job - G. K. Chesterton



I have met many people whom after having expressed their opinion, expressed how they considered it merely their own opinion and nothing more. They said that "to them" it was right, however they didn't think that necessarily meant it applied to anyone else's life, or even that they thought it to be it Right in the absolute sense of the word.

This was uncomfortable to me at first because that meant I can't discuss with them any of those opinions. Whenever I'd say something they'd answer back "Yeah, maybe to you that's right!".
Now, what these people were actually suggesting was that they have their own private universe in which these opinions were true. In that universe I didn't exist, hence I couldn't claim that these opinions were either right or wrong.

After a few times of meeting more of those people, & a few more times where I noticed that to those people more subjects seemed to pack up their stuff & move to that private universe, it became downright annoying!

I understand how those people wanted to avoid disagreements. And that may be ok in some cases I suppose, unless they actually believe it! Then the price they pay for that mental peace becomes their sanity!

Many people became convinced that they are apart from all Mankind. In fact, they are quite convinced that all Mankind is quite apart from Mankind!
More people are moving their ideas to a place where they can hear no outside criticism, but the price of that is that they can also get no external help. They have no external point of reference to refer to when in need. A Man alone in a universe isn't a good thing, is it?
This model of thinking as you can see, may lead to an isolation of the individual, if taken seriously.

As I understand it, this translates directly into Hell. Life becomes a place of nightmares & doubts where no external help is noticed or accepted. It's an even more modern angst.

Now for many logical reasons, I'm pretty sure that this private universe people think about does not exist. We may all have different personalities. But there is one Reality and we all live in it.

I'd like to stress here that this doesn't mean that our reaction to that Reality must be the same.

However, when somebody claims that they are satisfied with some belief & that belief describes (& reflects on) that same common Reality. It has to hold true in that common Reality if it is to hold true in someone's personal life.
In other words, it is either Real to everyone or it is actually an Illusion.

In other words, it is either True, or it is not.

& I think we need Truth… Don't we?

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed!
    mesh 2adra ma2olsh "yeslam fommak"!!! :-)

    I was very depressed lately after meeting people with such thoughts and I was totally unable to help them see what I see... because from their side, it's me who's considered naive and unable to relaize what it's all about...

    I hope you don't mind if I put the 3 brilliant entries in my last entry... I'll link them to your blog.

    (if it disturbs you just let me know).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :)
    & of course go right ahead & post them on ur entries. There isn't much copyright in it anyway! & linking to the posts will make them get read more, which is something I want of course.

    ReplyDelete